This newest quilt started out as an experimental piece based on an improv block I developed and showed in my last post. I call the block "Haystack", so "Hayride" seemed like a fitting name for this quilt.
I originally set out to only use the left over bits of two polka-dot fabrics that have been in my stash for close to 20 years, but quickly ran out of the darker blue, so I gave myself permission to substitute the plain muslin that I had on hand. (Actually, it's 3 polka dot prints... the dark blue with cream dots, and 2 different cream ones with slightly different blue dots)
The limitations on fabric that I placed, caused the various blocks to each be unique, even though construction method was the same for each. When I ran out of the cream polka-dot fabrics I stopped. This is also the first quilt that I can recollect where I didn't bother to square up the edges and block after washing, as I wanted to keep a utilitarian look as much as possible. Surprised at how close it came to being more or less squared all by itself.
I machine quilted it with, yes, what many seem to consider boring old stippling.... which in truth I love as it provides such wonderful texture. I've said it before, and I will say it again, I do not understand why this humble, free-motion machine stitch has fell so out of favor.